The best known way to get residency in the USA is the Green Card. A Green Card can be obtained in three different ways. The first one is through a family member and the second option is getting an employment based Green Card.
The third way of getting a Green Card is by participating in the annual Green Card diversity lottery. Make sure you take our quick quiz below to see if you qualify!
Work and Business Visas
There are a number of employment based immigrant visas available. There are five categories of visa as follows. Spouses and children may accompany or follow-to-join employment-based immigrants:
- E1 - E3 are visas for those with talents, skills or education needed by an employer in the USA. They all have different requirements but all need your employer to initially file paperwork. Under certain circumstances the E2 can include startup founders.
- E4 visa is for Certain Special Immigrants subgroups such as ministers of religion, broadcasters, translators etc.
- E5 visa - If you invest $1,000,000 in a commercial enterprise in the United States and plan to create or preserve at least 10 full time jobs, you can apply for a Green Card through Investment. In a targeted employment area you need to only invest $500,000 or more.
Through your family
- If your spouse or fiance is a citizen or permanent resident of the USA, you are probably eligible for residency. Click here for further details
- Family sponsorship is available for the parent, child, brother or sister of a US citizen.
- See the citizenship section below for more information on residency or citizenship based on your descent.
The Diversity visa is for immigrants from countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States. A limited number of visas are available each fiscal year.
Trainee and Exchange Visas
The US offer numerous visas for young adults over the age of 18 to work and travel in the US. These range from au-pair visas, to teachers, to interns and even a general working holiday visa if you come from certain countries.
Hundreds of thousands of students study in the US every year. You can apply for a student visa to study in a US High School, University or college.