Visa Options in South East Asia for Digital Nomads, Freelancers and the Self Employed

Visa Options in South East Asia for Digital Nomads, Freelancers and the Self Employed

South East Asia is fast becoming a preferred destination for those who want to get away from a daily commute and a 9-5 job.  Working online as a digital nomad or freelancer is a rapidly growing lifestyle choice and South East Asia offers some key attributes to make this lifestyle work.

Nomadlist ranks cites based on their suitability for digital nomads and it is no surprise that out of their top 10 cities in the world, no less than 5 are in South East Asia. The climate, affordability, friendliness and some of the fastest internet speeds on the planet all add to the appeal.

The Visa Situation in South East Asia

A crowd watching dancing and the sunset in Bali

We will be honest with you - when it comes to visas offered to digital nomads, freelancers or the self-employed, South East Asia is not as advanced as Europe.  By the way, if you are interested in the situation in Europe head over to our blog for the full picture.

In SE Asia staying within the bounds of your visa can be hard to do. Many digital nomads, freelancers and self-employed visitors to Asia use tourist visas and visa runs, or other non work visa classes to live and work. This is generally not legal and does carry risk, the level of risk and the ease of visa varies throughout the region.

We will initially take you through the options for living and working in Asia within the law and we’ll go into those in detail. While many of these solutions may not fit the classic digital nomad lifestyle, for semi-nomads, freelancers and self employed they may be perfect.

At we obviously don’t support any illegal action, but we’ll still outline the various options that are available and are used by a large portion of digital nomads and freelancers.

Long Term Working Visa Options

Digital Nomad working on her laptop in Asia

1.  Thailand BOI (Board of Investment) company

Thailand has strict rules around the ownership and staffing of companies by foreigners.  If you were to open up your own company for example in Thailand, you would need to hire 4 locals for every foreigner.  In a bid to inject some energy into the Thai technology industry the government has created a class of companies that have less stringent rules to follow. As a freelancer you may well be able to take advantage of this.

Companies like Iglu and COOffice will hire you and take care of your work permit requirements.  Your clients are charged through these companies and then you are paid a salary. Your take home pay is approximately 70% after taxes and fees.  For IGLU you need to meet the following requirements:

  • a relevant degree with 2 years of experience in our (What is “our” field?) field or 5 years of experience in your field
  • to work in technology or a digital field such as design, marketing or software development
  • to earn over USD2,500 per month
  • you are over 22 years of age

You will also need to commit to at least a year of working through these companies.

Thailand boats a great place for freelancers

2.  The Malaysian Tech Entrepreneur program

If you have a technology business, or are in the process of founding one, Malaysia might be a great base from which to explore with this program for entrepreneurs. For a new business the equivalent of USD600 will get you a year’s residency, while for an established business USD1,200 will get you a full five years residency. There is some paperwork to process and a business plan that outlines the opportunity, funding and projected income is required. You ‘ll need to have USD12,000 of available funds to show you can support yourself while the business gets going. In addition to the residency visa you will get support from the Malaysian government to assist in accessing local and regional markets.

3.  The Malaysian My Second Home Visa

This program offers a renewable 10-year, multiple entry residency visa linked to an investment in Malaysia. This is effectively a residence permit, enabling the successful applicant, their spouse and dependants to live in Malaysia and come and go as you please.  You do need a bit of money to back you up though.

For anyone under 50 years old, you need to be able to prove assets of more than RM500,000 (approx. USD120,000) and an offshore income of more than RM10,000 (approx. USD2,500) per month. In addition, you’ll need to deposit RM300,000 (approx. USD72,000) in a one-year fixed deposit in a Malaysian bank. After one year you can withdraw up to half of that to spend on expenses approved under the program, which include: a house purchase, education for your kids in Malaysia and medical costs. A minimum of RM150,000 (approx. USD36,000) balance in the fixed deposit will need to be maintained for the life of the visa.

For over 50s the requirements are lower, proof of assets of RM350,000 (approx. USD84,000) and you need an offshore income of more than RM10,000 per month (approx. USD2,400). On approval you’ll need to deposit RM150,000 (approx. USD36,000) into a Malaysian bank and after one year you can withdraw RM50,000 (approx. USD12,000) of that to spend on expenses approved under the program.

Borneo Malaysia where digital nomads are going

4.  Malaysia - Labuan Company Work Permit

If you fancy living in Malaysia with an office in Labuan, the Malaysian government has made it easier for you.   With the Labuan Company Work Permit, setup a company and you and your family will get a 2-year renewable multi entry work visa.

What’s more corporate tax is only 3% or you can choose to pay a maximum of RM20,000 (approx. USD4,800) in tax each year. 

To apply you need to show a business plan and have paid up capital of RM250,000 (approx. USD60,000) for your business. Freelancers, including internet marketers, consultants, traders, finance professionals and others, are all included in the group to whom this visa is available.

5.  Singapore – Entrepass

If you have recently started (less than 6 months prior to application) or intend to start, a private limited company and you meet one of the following requirements you may be eligible for an Entrepass visa:

  • Your company has government recognised venture capitalist (VC) funding of at least USD$100,000.
  • You company is a part of a recognised Singapore incubator.
  • You have significant relevant business experience, a relevant business network and a strong track record at running successful businesses
  • You are an innovator who holds intellectual property registered with an approved national IP institution
  • You have a research agreement with a research institution or Singaporean Institute of Higher Learning
  • You have an investment track record or an extensive record in senior positions in large corporate businesses.

Singapore skyline Entrepass freelancers

Related Blog:  How we made our Digital Nomad dream a reality

Long Stay Visas (work not allowed)

If you are wanting to stay a longer than your tourist visa allows here are some options for you.  Note that you are not meant to work on these visas, but many digital nomads do.

1.  Thailand Education or Study Visa

While an education visa is most often used to register with a Thai language school, the official visa is for “full-time education, internship or any other educational program in Thailand.” Full time is a flexible term in this case but there will be weekly attendance requirements from any course that meets the immigration requirements, from scuba diving to massage, meditation to university level courses. All courses of any duration offer vacations, often in line with the school holidays.

One interesting option for the education visa, is at a self-defence school. For around USD1000 you can sign up for a twelve-months of self-defence classes. Attendance requirements are 2 hours, twice a week and the classes are taught in English (with no Thai language requirements) by highly qualified ex-Thai military and police instructors. There is flexibility on scheduling to allow you travel and other absences. Get fit, learn a skill and see Thailand!

Thailand Boxers at sunset

2.  Thailand Elite Residence Program

This program is for those who are happy to pay for a privileged service and residence visas for you and your family. VIP privileges include an expedited immigration and passport control service, a dedicated Elite personal assistant for international flights and lounge access, fast track immigration, airport transfers, and a 24-hour member contact centre which operates in several languages.  There are seven program options, each varying in validity, benefits and costs.  The following are the three most popular options available:

  • Elite Easy Access gives you a renewable, multi entry five-year residence visa.  There is a onetime fee of THB500,000 including VAT (approx. USD16,000).

  • Elite Family Excursion is designed for a minimum of two people delivering a renewable multi entry five-year residence visa for each member. The one-time fee of THB800,000 including VAT (approx. USD25,000) covers both applicants with an additional charge of THB300,000 including VAT (approx. USD10,000) per dependent.

  • Elite Superiority Extension — delivers a 20-year renewable, multi entry residence visa for individuals who pay a one-time fee of THB1 million including VAT (approx. USD32,000).

Recommended Reading:   The Chiang Mai Guide for Digital Nomads

3.  Indonesia - Sosial Budaya Visa

This visa is officially for visiting family and friends and requires an invitation from an Indonesia sponsor. The visa is valid for 6 months and is extendable 4 times for an additional 30 days each time, for 180 days in total. 

Many use this visa as an alternative to an official residency and/ or work visa especially those in Bali. The Indonesian Department of Immigration know that foreigners misuse the visa. You will be interviewed by an immigration officer to explain how you are supporting yourself and why you are in the country if you use a Sosial Budaya visa for the full six months.

Ubud, a hub for digital nomads

Tourist Visas and Visa Runs

While this does require taking your chances with the immigration service, and we’d never promote breaking the law, thousands of freelancers and self-employed people enter South East Asian countries on a tourist visa and then work online. They do what is called “visa-runs” where you travel to neighboring countries and come back in with a renewed tourist visa in your passport.

If you are genuinely travelling around the region and working is incidental to your travels it will obviously be less of a flag to immigration than if you have been in one country for 6 months and are on your 5th 1-day trip to Laos!

1.  Thailand

Here are all the different types of tourist visas for Thailand:

Visa Exemption / Visa Waiver Entry

If you are from one of these 55 countries that Thailand admits without a visa (this includes the UK, USA and most of Europe) you are admitted to Thailand for 30 days without prior application, payment or a visa being issued. Once your 30 days are up you will need to leave unless you have obtained a visa.

Visa on Arrival

If you are from one of the 21 countries that can purchase a visa on arrival (this includes China and India) you can purchase a visa at the border on your arrival. The visa is TBH2,000 (approx. USD60) and allows you to stay for 15 days – it will be stamped into your passport with your departure date. Once your 15 days are up you will need to leave unless you have obtained another visa.

Single-Entry Tourist Visa (SETV), also called the “60-day tourist visa”

This visa needs to be applied for outside of Thailand and generally takes 2 visits to organise. You’ll need to travel to Thailand within 3 months of the visa being granted and it grants, as per the name, a 60-day single stay. If you leave you will forfeit the remaining days on the visa unless you obtain a Visa re-entry permit (available at immigration departments or the airport.)  Unless you have suddenly had to leave Thailand and are dumping the majority of your SETV it may be easier just to reapply for a new SETV in your destination country.

Multiple-Entry Tourist Visa (METV) or “6-month multi entry visa”

Like the SETV, you’ll need to apply outside of Thailand. This grants you unlimited entries over a six-month period with each stay no longer than 60 days. This is the visa that best fits most digital nomad requirements (except, obviously, being able to legally work.)


2.  Indonesia

Free 30-day tourist Visa

Indonesia offers visitors from many countries a free 30-day tourist visa. This visa is available on arrival in Indonesia but is not extendable. You’ll need to leave Indonesia within 30 days.

30-day paid extendable tourist visa

For a small fee you can purchase a 30-day tourist visa at the airport and this visa is extendable for 1 30-day period meaning you have 60 days available to you.

60-day paid extendable tourist visa

You’ll need to apply for this visa before you arrive in Indonesia and it does require a bit of paperwork, but it can be extended 4 times for periods of 30 days meaning you have 180 days in Indonesia on this visa.

Recommended Reading: Digital Nomads in Bali: Guide for living and working in Bali

Vietnam houses digital nomad life

3.  Vietnam

Visa on arrival (VOA)

Citizens of most countries need to apply for a visa before they arrival.  You can get the visa from your local Vietnamese embassy or use an agent.  There are plenty of agents online.  Within a couple of days you are sent an approval letter which you hand over at the airport along with a form, 2 passport photos and the visa fee to receive your visa. You can apply for 1 month, 3 month single or multiple entry visa.

At the time of writing there were 22 countries that did not need to get visas in advance as follows:

Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Sweden, UK, Myanmar, Brunei, Belarus, Japan, South Korea, Norway, Russia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and the Philippines. Note that you need to arrive at one of the 6 international airports.  You cannot get these visas at land ports.


The Vietnamese government have been trialling an e-visa system.  Here is the list of countries where citizens can apply for an e-visa.  E-visas are single-entry only, valid for 30 days.  Unfortunately, there has not been great feedback on the system.

Here is a link to the E-Visa Portal.

4.  Malaysia

Single Entry Visa

Malaysia offers 90-days visa free travel for many nations.  Others, including Chinese and Indian nationals are required to get an Electronic Travel Registration and Information (ENTRI) visa before they arrive. 

Click here to see what the requirement is for your country.

Multiple Entry Visa

This is valid from 3 to 12 months but to be eligible for this you need to be doing business of some sort with a local company or the government.

South East Asian Children

South East Asia has many appeals and endless attractions. Amazing natural beauty and variety, food that will never get boring and friendly people are things that have made these countries some of the top tourist destinations on the planet. The upsides for digital nomads and freelancers are obvious and this means there is infrastructure and support for you to take advantage of the fact that your next collaborator/investor/partner may just be sitting at the table next to you in your favourite coffee shop. While the visas on offer are far from ideal hopefully this article has given you enough information to make your mind up on taking the plunge into this stunning part of the world.

For further information, resources and links on these countries have a look at our detailed pages:






By the way, we'll keep this guide updated using our partner network and some cool technology behind the website that keeps us updated of changes on government websites and portals, so check back here regularly.

Pin This To Pinterest:

First Pinterest Image for Freelancers and Digital Nomad Options for SE Asia  Pinterest image for freelancers and digital nomad visas in South East Asia


The Portugal Golden Visa - an insider's perspective

The Portugal Golden Visa is a hugely popular Residency by Investment (RBI) programme in the Europe ...

The fastest ways to an EU passport

Firstly, why would anyone want an EU passport? 1.  Visa Free Travel For my mother to vis...

My Colourful Expat Life in Panama

If you’re looking to work in fast-paced Panama City, relax on one of the many white sand trop...

Author image

Alastair Johnson

A digital nomad, born and raised in South Africa before heading off into the wider world. Developed a serious case of itchy feet and found some amazing places to live along the way including London, Sydney and now Spain. Happiest sipping a sundowner looking over the ocean talking about the day’s diving.…